Monday, October 8, 2007

What eyes can see

I really can be a dangerous driver because I get distracted easily by what's outside my window. Ah, but not by the myriad of cars that are whizzing past nor by the billboards and signs that clutter the street sides. Not even because that sign says: Free ice-cream. Get it now.


"For the beauty of the earth. For the glory of the skies..."

This morning I drove home from a friend's house around six-thirty. When I stepped outside I could see a thick blanket of fog coating the yard and surrounding yards. Once I got into my car, I noticed the effect it had had on my windshield. I turned on my windshield wipers and my view was suddenly clearer. But, within ten seconds it was fogged up again. Sighing heavily, I decided to proceed with driving home with an extra ounce of alertness. I did my old woman huddle, sitting really far up and close to the window and peering over the dashboard as I drove, trying to see through the haze.

After five minutes of driving in this position my windshield began to get less and less foggy. I settled back in my seat only to move abruptly again to peer out my side window. As the condensation (I'm not very good with this sort of thing--I'm guessing it was condensation--correct me oh wise ones) dissipated off my side windows I was startled by what I could now view. Hazy orange and red streaks were vi sable all throughout the sky. But, it was the effect of the fog that brought my mind reeling into awe. I was driving past some fields and about a foot off the ground all around were whispy clouds of fog. My eyes strained to see the things that recessed deeper into the fog. I wanted to get out and run through it--feeling the clammy, cool touch of air + moisture. But, I resisted the temptation and kept on driving. Although, much more distracted now then ever. The sky was brilliant colors still and the fields were covered in this mysterious substance. The black pavement of the road held little appeal to my eyes in comparison to the rest of the world that lay around me.

Nevertheless, the road was what I concentrated on for a time and now I've made it home safe and sound. The warm glow of the sun is making its grand appearence and the fog has retreated for the time being. What was once hidden by hazy clouds is now clearly visable by the light of the sun.

What a glorious fall morning. I love clouds and the way they cloak the earth. But, what I marvel at the most is the way the sun ALWAYS triumphs. It always shines forth. Perhaps it looks as if it won't at times; but, here it comes--up, up, and up.

"The heavens declare the glory of God."

Indeed they do.

2 comments:

annie said...

oh! oh! beauty!

you know how i feel about the sky...

oh!

:)

kibbe said...

Honestly, when I read yours and your sisters' and my Annie's( and Emma's if she'd ever write again) blogs and various others, I think that high school English credits should be handed out gleefully for them. They're all so wonderfully interesting and thoughtful, and well written.