Saturday, October 6, 2007

visors and nametags

I'm back to the familiar grind of working Saturdays at Chick-fil-a.


It's normally bearable until the clock reaches one pm. Repeatedly, each week, I dramatically perform a count down for my fellow co-workers. I voice the hour and the minute from time to time--either to depress them or to make them excited about the approaching clock-out time. From one until four my countenance undergoes a dramatic change from enthusiastically happy to barely energetic. I have more of a in and out mentality with my customers after 1 pm. Order.Pay.Go.


Today was a half-happy day.


First of all, my regulars are very friendly which makes serving them "a pleasure." I've made it a point to remember their orders and to have them ready before they reach the counter. Today, my first customer of the day was a regular. I had his coffee, one brown sugar packet + stirrer sitting neatly in front of me when he approached. His familiar "You're on the ball today" greeted me. He's says it each week. All my regulars are older gentlemen with fading memories.


Second of all, I was still carrying over some sort of wound-up energy from the night before. Apparently something made me happy and kept me happy for over 24 hours. But, it faded slowly at work as the time dragged on.


Thirdly, I worked with Leah. Which, is always a joy.



...and now I'm home and going to change out of these smelly chicken clothes.
feel free to visit me sometime at Chick-fil-a. I'll be there--eight to four on Saturdays.

"Have a nice day."

5 comments:

linnea said...

reading this post sure reminded me of my own life. after all, I experienced the same thinks you have described for a little over two years! working with Leah was always a day-brightener.

tell her i say HEY, will ya?

;-D

annie said...

"Thirdly, I worked with Leah. Which, is always a joy."

i think you meant to say, "Which, is really quite fantastic."

;)

i know how the countdown is... lifeguarding, i look at my cell phone every three minutes or so to check the precise hour & minute. they go by so slowly...

i think maybe i'll find a new job next summer.

faith said...

I wish I could come visit you... and get a milkshake with extra cookies!!

Rachel Taylor said...

-plans a visit-

Mackenzee said...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnddddddd we rearranged registers so we could work beside each other! ;)